• For science that cannot be detected, does not exist. If something can just not be detected, absolutely undetectable it is, then science will say, “It does not exist”. Spirituality says, “My instruments for detection are very limited. I detect using my senses and my intellect which are quite limited. Something that cannot be thus detected may also exist; in fact it may be more real than what the senses announce as real.” Spirituality thus lacks the arrogance of science.
Science says if my eyes can see, look at it, only then it exist. Spirituality says but first of all am I sure that my eyes are an instrument capable enough to tell me the truth? Spirituality is an honest, brutally honest search for the truth. And kindly do not think that it precludes science. To go beyond something is not the same as rejecting it. Spirituality is deeply scientific and so very scientific that it transcends science. You could even say that it is more scientific than science.
Science stops at one particular superstition. What is the fundamental superstition of science? – That my eyes will tell me the Truth. And my intellect can tell me the Truth. That is the fundamental superstition of science. Spirituality does not accept even that superstition. Spirituality says, “No! What the mind says is just that, the words of the mind. I want to look at the mind itself”. And that looking at the mind cannot happen while remaining in the province of mind. Hence, there has to be something beyond the mind.
• To be human is to have a body of earth and a heart of the sky. If you just have a body of earth with no heart, then you are a puppet, not a human being. Even a puppet has a body, even a puppet moves. To be human is something totally different. To be human is to have the sky in your heart; that great silent vastness in your heart. Then you are human.
• Those who do not listen, hear a lot of things. Those who listen deeply, hear nothing.
• Observation is not meant to comfort you. Observation is not meant to keep you nicely settled in your sofa. Observation will shake you up and that is why people don’t want to observe.
Observation enables Right action.
Observation must disturb you. It must shake you up into action.
• When I say, “Go out (pointing outwards) and watch” and when I say, “Go in (pointing inwards) and watch”. I mean, “Watch so that you know what you need to do. Watch out so that you know that the world needs change. And watch yourself so that you know that the outer change will only follow inner change”.
• Spirituality is disruptive. Wisdom is a rebellion.
You cannot be spiritual and continue to be in your old ways.
• Only the One can help you, is helping you, wishes you well and is giving you wellness.
Know Him, be with Him, and then you will not be afraid.
• To surrender is to realize that you are already at the climax of your being, that there is no better place available. So, there is no need to put in any more efforts; that no road needs to be taken; that this is it, full stop. And it is not a full stop of deadness; it is a throbbing and vital full stop. It is a full stop, not to your being, but to your disease.
• The world’s problems are solved by not taking the world as real. Understand this. The world’s problems are solved by those who do not contribute to those problems.
The world’s problems are not solved by those who take the world seriously. The world’s problems are actually solved by those who know that the world does not mean anything. Hence, leave the world to itself.
If you can leave this earth to itself, will global warming be there?
If human beings can leave the world to its fate, even for five years, everything will be alright. Everything will be all right. The jungles will take care of themselves; the rivers will take care of themselves. They all have this intelligence as to how to care of themselves. You just stop interfering.
• What the Self is; the body cannot be.
What the Self is; the mind cannot be.
The Self is unlimited and immortal. The body and mind cannot be immortal.
But because you are not in touch with the immortality of the Self, so you put the burden of immortality upon the body and the mind.
• To be born is to be born into crookedness.
But once you know that the straight One, the simple One, the innocent One, is sitting in your heart; then you no more feel the need to display a fake straightness.
Then you say, “I have straightness at the most important place”.
Now, outside I can be crooked; outside I can be fully crooked. I do not need to prove a point. There is nobody to prove a point to. The real thing is sitting here, so outside the game of the unreal can be. Just enjoy it.
• You are not the sinner, you are the sin itself. You are not mistaken, you are the mistake itself.
• Anger cannot be right in isolation. If everything else about you is wrong and petty, then anger too is bound to be wrong and petty. Do not be too bothered with the problem of anger. Do not try to look at the one fragment of mind and quarantine it. Whatever is the quality of your life that is also the quality of your anger. When life is genuine, then anger is also genuine. When life is fake, then all you have is fake anger. When life has depth, then anger too has depth. When life is shallow, then anger is mere poking and pinching.
• Here and now does not really pertain to an objective reality because there is no objective reality.
Here and now pertains to the state of mind that the mind is in.
All that here and now means is that when the mind is in a particular state, then that state is all that there is.
Mind is in temptation; then temptation is all that there is.
Mind is anger; anger is all that there is.
Here and now simple means that be alert to what is in the mind
• Observation turns into understanding when the distance between you and your object reduces.
How does that happen? That happens when the boundary that you have built, the boundary that you call as ‘I’, the boundary that separates you from the object, that comes down.
That is the point when you understand.
• Understanding is not about coming to conclusions.
Understanding is about being free from the need to have conclusions.
• Facts are material; facts are dualistic; facts are supplied to you by your senses. Facts might take you to the door of the Truth but, facts by themselves are not the Truth.
‘Now’ is not the present, and facts are not the Truth. To say that facts are the truth and ‘now’ is the present, is to say that material is the final reality; and if material is the ultimate Truth, then there can be no Love, Freedom or Joy because none of these are material. There can be no Love in facts. There can be no Freedom in facts.
• Innocence is that silence, that background, that doesn’t change, no matter how much the voices change. It is that emptiness that remains no matter how many universes come and go. It is which sky that cannot be stained, even if you emit the entire world’s smoke into it. It simply cannot be dirtied.
• With God in your heart, you can have the world in your mind and it will be a ‘Godly world’.
• Innocence, in that sense, is not merely health. Innocence is the inability to fall sick. What you normally call as health is just the gap between two periods of sicknesses. You are healthy and you are moving towards sickness. It is dualistic. Innocence is the absence of that which can fall sick. Innocence is the inability to fall sick. Even if you want, you cannot fall sick, that is innocence.
• What begins ends, nothingness sustains.
Excerpts from Shabd-Yog sessions and as posted on Twitter @Prashant_Advait