Quotes, Clarity Session, 8-14 February, ’15
1. We suffer from two kinds of distractions:
First: Caused by submission to external agents
Second: Caused by resistance to external agents
The second is proud that it is trying to control the first, and the first is guilty that it could not be the second.
2. Realization is enough. No prescription is required.
3. You are a candle. A candle is a process of matter subliming into light. A candle appears to be just material till the time it is not lighted. And after it is set aflame, the matter starts disappearing into light.This is the process of self-awareness: matter to light.
For light to be bright, matter will have to be lost. This burning is not your death, it is your coming alive. Burn fast, burn bright.
4. Intention is motivation. Intention is greed. Even the purest intention is pure greed. To breathe, think, and act free of intention is a totally different dimension of living.
5. If there is an effort to drop something, know that it won’t be dropped.
6. You think you give birth to children? You think you proliferate the human race by procreating? No. Its not kids that you produce, its suffering that you breed. Please see that we perpetuate suffering through procreation.
The urge to procreate itself arises from an inner vacuüm, an insecurity, an existential suffering. What arises from suffering will only give birth to suffering. What arises from joy spreads joy. Rare is the child that arises from joy.
7. Just understand.
8. In concluding, you end witnessing, you end alertness.
Conclusion is a thought. Witnessing, subtle alertness is thoughtlessness.
The ego wants a prescription. It wants to know what to do: this or that.
We’ve become so dumb that if someone doesn’t give us a conclusion or opinion then we think that he doesn’t understand.
9. Sometimes you agree and sometimes you disagree. But do you ever understand?
10. Real learning doesn’t happen when you can say that you know. The real is never explicit.
11. Flames come and go like waves come and go. What matters is light and the ocean.
12. The need of confidence is directly proportional to the depth of fear. With fear, all one gets is confidence – a confidence as shallow and as debilitating as fear. When there is no fear, then there is no confidence, but a deep certitude. Certitude that makes itself felt by the absence of any thought about itself.
13. Give yourself up. You cannot give up your fears without first giving yourself up. You being what you think you are, you cannot be fearless.
14. Man is the only creature in existence whose defining characteristic is his deep fear. Fear in his relationships, his goals, fear in his laughter, his love, his living, his progress, fear in his entire being.
15. Who am I? Fear.
If I continue, fear continues.
16. Fear is the natural outcome of what I consider myself to be. I am literally ‘terribly’ sure of who I am!
17. Confidence is an artificial imposition. I am fear. To get rid of fear, you have to get rid of yourself.
18. The thinking is the thinker itself. The thinker cannot get rid of the thought.
19. My effort will not change the I. Whatever I will do will further the I. Whatever fear will do, will not bring fearlessness.
20. Utter resignation: Come to the point of seeing the uselessness of your pursuits.
Till the time you believe that you have the ability to change yourself, you find that nothing is changing.
When the belief that you can change yourself disappears, then real change happens, silently.
Real change is the realisation that I cannot change. That I am petty.
21. A great change happens when you see what is happening. To not to see what is happening is to continue the happening.
Just pause and look at what you’ve been doing. Freedom from fear comes from realising that the entire story is fear, that the whole substance of your life is steeped in fear.
22. Don’t ask: What should I do? Just ask: What am I doing? What have I been doing? What do I always do?
23. Watching, witnessing is the cessation of doing.
24. Comparison as a fact and comparison as a disease of the mind are two very different things.
25. Freedom is for the free. Truth is for the truthful.
26. First I thought fear: ‘I can be harmed’.
Then I thought confidence: ‘I cannot be harmed’.
This ‘I’ is common between the two thoughts. Till the time ‘I’ remains, there is not much difference between confidence and fearfulness.
27. I give so much resistance against being harmed. Why? This ‘I’ itself is so very fragile, so weak. Being what I am, I will live in fear.
28. My self concept – coming from outside – can be taken away, can be lost. No wonder this ‘I’ will always live in fear. Fear is an inalienable part of my living.
29. A fake teacher will empty your pockets and stuff your mind. A real teacher will empty your mind itself. With the real teacher, your being will be the payment. Nothing less than that will suffice. The real teacher comes free and is very dear.
30. Just as the thinker can not get rid of thought, I can not get rid of my self-concept by thinking about it.
31. Every thought, every cell in the body is totally conditioned. Hundred percent patterned. This pattern is the doer that I am.
Watching can not happen while doing. Watching is cessation of all doing. Hence, watching is not possible by the doer.
32. There is no fundamental reality outside of you. There is none inside of you either.
33. Constant remembrance has great power. But if remembering is a burden, then complete and constant forgetfulness is equally good. In fact, better.
34. Man does not need this feeling of confidence. It doesn’t have any real utility.
35.Confidence is a word that becomes relevant only in presence of fear, dependence on others, desire for future.
36. Fear is honest, very real to this ‘I’ which by its very constitution is fragile, vulnerable. Confidence will always keep disappearing since it is false. We will never succeed seeking confidence.
This ‘I’ is born out of limitation, is thought based and this thought is out of fear.
37. Fear lives on the diet of confidence. The need of confidence is directly proportional to the fear in my mind.
38. Mysticism is the essence of wisdom.
39. Three levels of influence. The three fake ‘I’s.
1. When the influence is superficial, you call it influence /imposition
2. When the influence is very deep, you call it your interest.
3. When the influence has penetrated the very depth of mind – you call it your individuality. This is the most chronic and tragic.
40. Following others is slavery. Following yourself is slavery even bigger. Instead of choosing between two different kinds of slavery, choose freedom.
Clarity Sessions are held on Sundays at 9am and Wednesdays at 6:30pm.
All are welcome.
Venue: G-39, Advait Sthal, Noida.